The General IT Services Council focuses on IT services that are not specific to other councils, and acts as a point of entry and contact for the campus to bring these services into the IT governance process.
A major goal of this council is to cultivate a campus-wide perspective and coordination across General IT Services and to prevent gaps and unplanned duplication.
The majority of the activity in this council will take place in one of the Service Advisory Teams listed below, focused on Services Groupings, each with their own membership:
- End User Support Advisory Team: provides input and guidance regarding the IT support needs of campus including (but not limited to) services such as: Help Desk/Service Desk, Desktop Support, Specialized Consulting, and Device Management.
- Communication and Collaboration Advisory Team: provides input and guidance regarding the communication and collaboration needs of campus including (but not limited to) services such as: Office 365, Skype for Business, SharePoint, Mass Mail, Listserv, etc.
- Web Services Advisory Team: provides input and guidance regarding: web hosting, web development, Drupal content management, and related services.
- Custom Application Development and Integration Advisory Team: provides input and guidance regarding the cost-recovery custom application development and integration services for the campus.
- Storage, Print, and Other Enterprise Services Advisory Team: provides input and guidance regarding: file storage, print, digital signage, and other enterprise IT services.
- Software and Cloud Services Advisory Team: provides input and guidance regarding the review, approval, procurement, and distribution of packaged software and cloud-based applications and services that are not specific to other domains, including (but not limited to): end-user-support-installed software titles and enterprise cloud services such as Qualtrics, Lynda, etc.
- New Service Advisory Teams will be formed, or old ones restarted or retired, as needed
Members of the General IT Services Council will guide the service advisory teams, get things to the right place, facilitate coordination of services, and compile any council-wide reporting or communication. It is envisioned that the strategic recommendations will be developed at the advisory team level, and brought to the council leadership for prioritization and to assure strategies are aligned across all General IT Services as well as the other councils. The council leaders will take the strategies to the OneIT Strategy Team.
General IT Services Council Charge
The General IT Services Council is charged by the Chief Information Officer (CIO) to:
- Assist in setting the strategic agenda for general IT decisions
- Ensure that outcomes and decisions are communicated back to the campus
- Lead general IT collaboration efforts across campus
- Advocate for necessary general IT resource allocations
- Ensure that appropriate stakeholders have opportunity for input and reaction
- Create and charge subcommittees or task forces as necessary for deeper exploration or engagement
- Fulfill council responsibilities as part of IT governance:
- Raise and collect council-specific issues
- Analyze issues and make recommendations
- Engage other IT governance groups, university governance groups, and general campus stakeholders as appropriate
General IT Services Council Members
The General IT Services Council comprises leaders of the services and a collegiate representative.
- Tim Evans (facilitator), Senior IT Director, Information Technology Services - Enterprise Services and Enterprise Infrastructure
- Lance Bolton (chair), Senior IT Director, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Tracy Scott, IT Director, Information Technology Services - Enterprise Services
- Romy Bolton, IT Director, Information Technology Services - Enterprise Services