The General IT Services Council focuses on IT services that are not specific to other councils, and acts as a point of entry and contact for the campus to bring these services into the IT governance process.
A major goal of this council is to cultivate a campus-wide perspective and coordination across General IT Services and to prevent gaps and unplanned duplication.
The majority of the activity in this council focuses on services in the following categories:
- End User Support: provides input and guidance regarding the IT support needs of campus including (but not limited to) services such as: Help Desk/Service Desk, Desktop Support, Specialized Consulting, and Device Management
- Communication and Collaboration: provides input and guidance regarding the communication and collaboration needs of campus including (but not limited to) services such as: Office 365, Skype for Business, SharePoint, Mass Mail, Listserv, etc.
- Web Services: provides input and guidance regarding web hosting, web development, Drupal content management, and related services
- Custom Application Development and Integration: provides input and guidance regarding the cost-recovery custom application development and integration services for the campus
- Storage, Print, and Other Enterprise Services: provides input and guidance regarding file storage, print, digital signage, and other enterprise IT services
- Software and Cloud Services: provides input and guidance regarding the review, approval, procurement, and distribution of packaged software and cloud-based applications and services that are not specific to other domains, including (but not limited to): end-user-support-installed software titles and enterprise cloud services such as Qualtrics, LinkedIn Learning, etc.
Some of these service categories have, or may have in the future, advisory teams, generally made up of service owners and service providers, along with some members of the General IT Services Council. In all areas, the service owners are responsible to gather input from their customers (users) as they develop recommendations about the services.
The council will help guide the service advisory teams, get things to the right place, facilitate coordination of services, and compile any council-wide reporting or communication. It is envisioned that the strategic recommendations will be developed at the service level and brought to the council for guidance, prioritization, and to assure strategies are aligned across all General IT Services as well as the other councils. The council leaders will take the strategies to the OneIT Strategy Team per regular OneIT Governance.
Given the breadth of services within this council, a monthly council meeting focused on one of the service categories will be scheduled. This will allow review of everything over the course of six months. After the initial pass, the meeting schedule will be reevaluated to determine what the council decides is the best way to move forward.
General IT Services Council Charge
The General IT Services Council is charged by the Chief Information Officer (CIO) to:
- Assist in setting the strategic agenda for general IT decisions
- Ensure that outcomes and decisions are communicated back to the campus
- Lead general IT collaboration efforts across campus
- Advocate for necessary general IT resource allocations
- Ensure that appropriate stakeholders have opportunity for input and reaction
- Create and charge subcommittees or task forces as necessary for deeper exploration or engagement
- Fulfill council responsibilities as part of IT governance:
- Raise and collect council-specific issues
- Analyze issues and make recommendations
- Engage other IT governance groups, university governance groups, and general campus stakeholders as appropriate
General IT Services Council Members
The General IT Services Council meetings and activities will be facilitated by Tim Evans and chaired by Lance Bolton. Membership includes Tracy Scott as the leader of most of the ITS Enterprise Services teams, the entire Collegiate IT Leaders group, and Administrative IT Leaders group.
- Tim Evans (facilitator), Senior IT Director, Information Technology Services - Enterprise Services & Business and Administration.
- Lance Bolton (chair), Senior IT Director, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Tracy Scott, Senior IT Director, Information Technology Services - Enterprise Services, SMS
- Collegiate IT Leaders
- Administrative IT Leaders