Thursday, August 13, 2015
transition of faculty-staff email accounts to the cloud-based Microsoft Office 365 platform is progressing well. To date over 500 email accounts have been migrated, including the Division of Continuing Education, the Office of Strategic Communications, Information Technology Services, and the Math, Statistics, and Computer Science departments in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. Migration will continue, unit-by-unit, through the end of the calendar year.The
The team is surveying users about how the transition experience went, and reports high levels of satisfaction. Relative to the number of accounts migrated, there were few support issues. Most issues fell into three categories:
- Advanced email configurations
- Typically affected users of shared/departmental accounts. During migration, they received login/restart messages as each account was successfully migrated. In some cases it was necessary to reconfigure Outlook profiles.
- Mobile device configuration
- Most users were able to reconnect mobile devices using the provided documentation, but some required assistance.
- Desktop Outlook client restarts/login requests
- The email team received reports of users experiencing multiple Outlook restart messages. This is expected behavior for each migrated account, but the team found that the message/login prompt may display for each calendar connected to an account. Individuals that keep multiple calendars open in Outlook may receive a restart/login prompt for each one as account migration completes.
Communication & Collaboration