IT Governance and Visibility Initiatives, Year in Review 2016
Creating a New Governance Structure
- The Governance Project Team is working with campus partners to develop a new IT governance structure to build more transparency into IT decisions and operations.
- The goal is to make it lightweight, but ensure engagement of the appropriate individuals.
Governance Model Proposed
- Ideas for governance were developed through a series of future state visioning workshops with OneIT leaders and Tippie College of Business faculty.
- The proposed governance model forms two new groups:
- A strategy group, with input from existing and new IT advisory groups, would develop and prioritize strategy.
- An operations group would coordinate projects and services and execute the strategy.
Developing Governance Processes & Criteria
- With a framework in mind, the governance team is working closely with the IT Project Management Office Project Team to test and operationalize new governance practices.
- This includes outlining a process, developing tools to guide staff through it, and establishing criteria for which initiatives are subject to governance (factors include risk, scale, resource needs, and alignment with strategy).