Human Resources Processes, Year in Review 2017
Skills inventories conducted
- After a successful pilot with the systems administrator job family, OneIT staff completed a skills inventory to provide a more accurate, complete view of the skills and technical interests of IT professionals at UI.
- The skills inventory is a way to engage IT professionals across campus to ensure that individuals are growing, learning, and contributing to UI at their fullest potential.
- The next steps are to analyze and share the data, which will provide a starting point to identify and leverage expertise, and address gaps through training, development, and recruitment. The information will feed into OneIT strategic planning.
Assessment tools subproject completed
- A method and tools were developed to help facilitate staff mobility and deliver a consistent approach to analysis of skills, realignment of work, and movement of staff related to the implementation of OneIT projects.
- The team developed a frequently asked questions (FAQ) guide for staff transitioning between departments, a tool to document and assess skills and duties of IT staff, and a comprehensive communication and change-management plan to ensure smooth transitions for staff, and address potential impacts on morale and attrition.
Streamline hiring subproject completed
- The streamline hiring subproject focused on creating visibility, consistency and maximizing expertise in IT hiring across campus.
- A centralized IT recruitment specialist pilot was developed and launched to streamline the IT hiring process for departments and leverage expertise in the IT recruiting process.
- The specialist is available to assist decentralized units with hiring IT positions. The expertise allows for greater consistency in identifying IT job requirements and recruitment resources, and helps improve the quality of hires and reduce hiring times.
- The recruitment specialist was utilized in 40% of IT hires in distributed units.
Success Story: Recruitment specialist helps expand pool for hard-to-fill IT jobsRead success storyAn IT recruitment specialist service is helping OneIT units conduct successful searches for technology professionals. The service aims to improve applicant pools, streamline search processes, and enhance the experience for hiring departments and job candidates alike.