Computer Networking, Year in Review 2017
Developed project description
The OneIT Network Redesign project will focus on:
- Consolidation and standardization of campus networks and infrastructure.
- Networking policies and procedures.
- Oversight and administration of various campus networks.
Identified project benefits
The project will benefit campus by:
- Reducing costs by allowing for larger bulk discounting with standardization of hardware.
- Providing a deeper pool of staff with required skills sets to manage standardized hardware and software.
- Allowing simpler management and rollout of existing and new services across standardized networks.
- Improving security for end-point devices.
- Providing better alignment of network resources for academics, administrative purposes, research and labs, and outreach.
Project plans in development
- ITS and Engineering leadership are working on developing a plan.
- The plan includes transition to continue the integrated support of the College of Engineering.
- ITS and the State Hygienic Lab project team have outlined a plan that transitions the management of the network and data center to central IT.
- Both projects are on track to be complete from a OneIT standpoint by June 30, 2018.